Thursday, March 19, 2009

Appreciate Life!

On Tuesday, my grandfather passed away. On the same day, a good friend lost somebody dear. Both losses were due to health issues not uncommon in the elderly, and while both difficult to those close to them, not completely unexpected.

Sometimes it takes the untimely death of somebody you know, or a celebrity, to really make you wake up and smell the coffee. How can a healthy woman have what looked to be a minor fall, get up from it feeling fine, have a headache an hour later, and then be dead two days later? That could be any of us. I'm a total clutz, I'm half convinced that this WILL be the way that I die. My husband doesn't wear a helmet when he rides his bike, and refuses to even after I bought him one. I have friends that ride their motorcycles without helmets.

I'm not sure if I want to stop and appreciate life more, or always wear a helmet, and wrap myself in a bubble paper protective wrap? Perhaps both is needed. I'll try not to take my friends and family for granted as much as I have. And if you see me or my child in a helmet, wrapped in bubble paper, and wearing a life preserver, I'm just being sensible and prepared.

1 comment:

David Schantz said...

I want you to continue being sensible and prepared, and teach Sydney to do the same.

I was sorry to hear about Al.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.