Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Twilight Hoopla

I've been wanting to say something about the Twilight saga. Let me preface this with the fact that I HAVE read the series, twice in fact, and did enjoy it. It's a fun read! It's like a PG Rated version of the Underworld series of films, which I enjoyed.

Something bothered me a bit on the first reading, and it bothered me even more the second time, and that was a lot of the relationship between Edward and Bella. I'm not even talking about the whole vampire thing, but their entire codependency thing and Edward being so controlling. Is a relationship where they can't bear to live in a world without the other really a thing to celebrate? Is Bella really a strong female role model for girls? She can't seem to stand on her own two feet, and partakes in risky behavior to get attention.

And what about Edward telling her who she can hang out with, and her trying to sneak around him? What about him having family member spy on her when he is away? Am I the only one that found that a little bit creepy?

Perhaps I am just becoming quite the old fuddy-duddy. While I'm at it, get off my lawn.

No comments: